Wednesday, 31 December 2014

2014 IN 'TRENDS': FROM THE YEAR OF THE BROW GAME TO BEING BASIC



1. Trendy words
No matter how hard we try to fight it, just like the YOLO revolution of 2012, several words and phrases have worked their way into our everyday speech this year. We've all called our BFFs our 'baes', described ourselves as 'sassy', others as 'basic bitches' and reverted to ironically using text speak. I'm predicting 'on fleek' to take us into 2015. Yaaass.




2. Brow game
Without a doubt the biggest beauty trend of the year. Whether inspired by Cara Delevingne or the general growing appreciation of female body hair, we've all said goodbye to the tweezers and hello to the eyebrow pencil. The biggest compliment we've received this year has been 'brow game strong', and we are not ashamed to admit it.




3. Pool sliders and Birkenstocks
If you're able to think back as far as summer, then you will remember the few joyous months during which the hideous 'it' sandal appeared to hypnotise us all into thinking it was attractive. Thanks to Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen the Birkenstock became immortalised as the epitome of edgy style, especially when worn with a knitted dark grey sock. My only encounter with them was a 20 minute agonising walk in which they slipped off every 3 steps and left my feet permenantly scarred. Never again.



4. 'But first, let me take a selfie'
In 2014 it's been almost impossible to do anything without taking a picture of it first. We can't even eat without brandishing our selfie sticks, snapping, adding a filter and captioning it 'cheeky Nandos with the girls.'  *insert emoji here* We saw it at the Oscars and even the Queen has been involved.



5. Ass
Whether we're talking Meghan Trainor's bass, Kim K 'breaking the internet' or Nicki Minaj's Anaconda video, I think we can all safely say we 'don't want none' in 2015. I'm all for the female empowerment revolution of 2k14 but please get the memo about skinny shaming. Thanks.



6. Challenges
In February we got 'Neknominated' to down pints of Worcestershire sauce to show our friends how hard were were, in March we bared all for the 'No Make Up Selfie' challenge (or almost all, we all have that one FB friend who claimed to be #nofilter but was more orange than David Dickinson), and in August we threw buckets of ice over ourselves for ALS.

7. The Fault in Our Stars
Whilst it may have got thousands of basics (another trend of 2014) around the world sobbing into their Starbucks, no book/film has ever aggravated me more than this one. More like the Fault in Our Plot line/Character Development. Okay? Not okay.

Can you think of any other 'trends' that have had the power to #breaktheinternet this year?
Elly xxx

follow me on:




8 comments:

  1. I didn't know that bae is the word for poop in danish, that is hilarious! And the obsession with butts was really crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Such a good idea, and I'm totally with you on Birkenstocks - never liked them, never will. And OMG I thought I was the only one who thought The Fault in Our Stars was a load of pretentious old crap. Preach it sista! Haha

    Faye x
    i wish i could wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried the Birks trend because I know I can die happy without having allowed those sandals to make my feet even wider. I'd have to disagree with you on the "basics" though--I feel like that word is such an easy insult for women, and I thought TFIOS was pretty good for a sappy romance movie :P

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post !!

    15emedistrict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously love this post! I'm so happy to find someone with the same opinions on all things internet ^_-

    *insert preach emoji here* xx

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, I'm really chuckling! Such a good idea, a good summary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they make my day xxx